Welcome to the waning days of so many leagues around the world, the storylines as teams jockey for their final position, trying to stave off relegation or slip in to position for qualification to move up or compete on bigger stages. The drama rises!
Monday, Apr. 22
- Chelsea vs. Burnley (Premier League) — This might seem like an odd one with Chelsea seemingly being so much better than Burnley, but this is the witching hour of the league. These final weeks are when storylines become clearer. Chelsea are tied with Arsenal on points, but trailing them on goal differential, five goals making the difference between the Champions League and Europa league next season. Can Chelsea claw into a Champions berth next year? Meanwhile Burnley are struggling to stay above the red line and remain in the Premier league. However, their final four matches are Chelsea, Manchester City, Everton and Arsenal. None of those will be easy, but they can’t afford to give up too many points lest they risk falling down.
- Napoli vs. Atalanta (Serie A) — Napoli are safely ensconced in their rank, they might shift some but they will likely join the Champions League next year. Atalanta are fighting for the hope of making it to the Europa league next season.
- Brentford vs. Leeds United (English Championship) — Leeds United want their chance in the Premier League and they can make that road easier with a win as they visit Brentford.
Tuesday, Apr. 23
- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Brighton & Hove Albion (Premier League) — Tottenham have had a very busy week and are struggling with injury, but their perch at #3 in the league is precarious. If they give up points they could conceivably find themselves in the Europa league next season. And they have to defend while continuing to compete for this year’s Champions League.
- Barcelona vs. Manchester United (Champion’s League) — Barca snatched a 1 – 0 victory on the road in England, can they defend at home? Yes.
Wednesday, Apr. 24
- Manchester United vs. Manchester City (Premier League) - A Manchester derby is always worth a watch, even if it seems foregone that the Citizens are going to steamroll the current struggling United side.
- Atlético Madrid vs. Valencia (La Liga) — Valencia could possibly make its way into the Champions league next season if they sneak into 4th in Spain. Defeating #2 is no small feat, but it’s doable.
Thursday, Apr. 25
- Getafe vs. Real Madrid (La Liga) - Getafe could, like Valencia earlier, make an appearance in the Champions League next year. They need to defend their home and come away with a win over Real Madrid.
Friday, Apr. 26
- Augsburg vs. Bayern Leverkusen (Bundesliga) — Leverkusen, with a win here, could find themselves in position to be in the Europa league next season. If they lose this one then I think they will fall short for the season.
Saturday, Apr. 27
- Inter vs. Juventus (Serie A) - Juventus have already won the Italian league, but Inter remains a strong side and they should make this a fun match to catch.
- Eintract Frankfurt vs. Hertha BSC (Bundesliga) - Frankfurt must furiously defend their position in the league, hoping to remain in position for another Champions League.
- Rennes vs. Paris Saint-Germaine (Coupe de France) — The finals of the nations cup have arrived and can Rennes upset the country’s top team?
Sunday, Apr. 28
- Seattle Sounders FC vs. Los Angeles FC (MLS) — The two best teams in MLS clash for the second time time this season.
- Torino vs. Milan (Serie A) — Milan fighting to remain in the Champions League next year. Torino fighting for the finish that would put them in Europa League. They both need a win.
- Leeds United vs. Aston Villa (English Championship) — In the 2nd division of England. Leeds United is fighting for a top two spot and the hope of promotion to the Premier League.