Here is a look at the best matches of the week from around the world.
Monday, Aug. 27
- Tottenham vs. Man. United (EPL) — Two of the leagues biggest teams meet up for a (for me) midday battle. Tottenham are undefeated after two, while Manchester had split their results. For me this is much see soccer.
- Roma vs. Atalanta (Serie A) — Both teams won their first match of the Serie A season after having moderate successes in the previous season. Roma ended in 3rd and Atalanta were in 7th. Should be a good match to start off the week.
Tuesday, Aug. 28
- Dynamo Kyiv vs. Ajax (Europa) — Well if I had the first leg in the list last week then it merits inclusion again to see how the fixtures end. After the first, Ajax lead 3 – 1, so Kyiv at home have their work cut out for them.
Wednesday, Aug. 29
- DC United vs. Philadelphia Union (MLS) — Philadelphia are having a solid season in a good position for the playoffs, while DC United have come alive with the arrival of Rooney and they are scrapping their way into contention. Winning versus Philadelphia would definitely help with that.
- Indy Eleven vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL) — It’s a sad fact that most Americans view lower division leagues as pointless as primary entertainment when in fact they often offer fantastic entertainment.
Friday, Aug. 31
- Milan vs. Roma (Serie A) — Roma make their second appearance on the list this week, but like Atalanta, it seems that this should be a good match of the Serie A lineup this week.
- Leeds United vs. Middlesbrough (Championship) — It’s #1 vs. #2 in England’s second division battling.
- USA vs. Chile (Women’s Friendly) — The Women’s World Cup is on the horizon and the women’s matches are some of the best soccer I watch.
Saturday, Sep. 1
- Leicester City vs. Liverpool (EPL) — Liverpool are undefeated in the Premier League, and Leicester City have only lost one. Leicester haven’t looked fantastic ever since winning the league but they have a spark this season thus far.
- Chelsea vs. AFC Bournemouth (EPL) — Bournemouth are not what you would consider a powerhouse in the Premier League, but they are 2 – 1‐0. Chelsea remain dominant and have started the league 3 – 0. Can Bournemouth dent the Chelsea machine?
- Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting KC (MLS) — The narrative of MLS is quickly become all about the post season. Seattle, after defeating Portland on the road in Providence Park, must protect their position for the post season and chasing an eighth consecutive win back at CenturyLink would go a long way to ensure that.
Sunday, Sep. 2
- Watford vs. Tottenham (EPL) — Tottenham joins Roma in making this week’s watchlist twice. Tottenham are potentially undefeated (depending on Monday’s match) and Watford are definitely undefeated coming into this match. I think Watford have to feel like the underdogs, though they are playing at home. Should be entertaining.
- Schalke 04 vs Hertha BSC (Bundesliga) — The first German match to make the list this week, and it’s between two teams in the middle of the pack. As with all European leagues, it’s early and things will change but this looks like a fairly even match of two German sides.
- Barcelona vs. Huesca (La Liga) — Watch Messi do Messi things to a La Liga side. At least, that’s why I have it on the list.
- DC United vs. Atlanta United (MLS) — Atlanta United have quickly become a dominant team in the MLS, and they sit atop the Eastern conference of the league. That said, DC United and them have history and DC United needs a win to push for the post season.