This week most leagues are on break for the international break. allowing teams to play in friendlies or competitions like the UEFA Nations League, etc. Looking over the leagues going on and the games being played, here are my picks for matches to watch this week.
Tuesday, Sep. 4
- USA vs. Chile (Women’s Friendly) — We are in the final friendlies before World Cup qualification. USA won the first friendly 3 – 0, and we got a unique look at the squad on the field. Let’s see how it goes this time.
Friday, Sep. 7
- Portland Thorns vs. Seattle Reign (NWSL) — Seattle is locked for the post season, now they are playing to host the playoff game. Portland trails them by just 2 points, getting out of the Rose City with at least a point will be big for them. But it will be a challenge, especially considering they will be without Megan Rapinoe as she continues recovering from her injury.
- Italy vs. Poland (UEFA Nations) — During this weekend for the international break there are a number of good national matchups. Italy didn’t make the World Cup but they remain an international powerhouse. Given Poland’s early departure from the World Cup they have something to prove as much as Italy does.
- USA vs. Brazil (Men’s Friendly) — The road to Qatar begins as the US continues refining and searching for the squad who will put them back on the world’s biggest stage.
Saturday, Sep. 8
- England vs. Spain (UEFA Nations) — Two of the best countries in the world face off.
- NYCFC vs. DC United (MLS) — NYCFC sit at third in the East. DC United are fighting to try and claw their way back into the post season. Combine that with two legends of the game: David Villa vs. Wayne Rooney. Should be an entertaining match.
Sunday, Sep. 9
- France vs. Netherlands (UEFA Nations) — The Netherlands also missed the World Cup in Russia, how will they fair against the greatest national team in the world?