Another week of the beautiful game for us all to sit back and enjoy. From Scotland to Mexico, and even an International friendly. Should be a good week.
Monday, Jan. 28
- İstanbul Başakşehir vs Kasımpaşa (Turkish Super Lig) — Istanbul has opened a 6 point lead on the nearest chaser, and Kasımpaşa sits in fourth, nine points behind them. A win here would tie them for 2nd, and prevent Istanbul from opening a wider gap.
Tuesday, Jan. 29
- Arsenal vs. Cardiff City (Premier League) — Arsenal sit in fifth. Cardiff City in 18th. Not exactly close. But both teams are fighting to progress. A win for Arsenal ties Chelsea. A win for Cardiff City could mean that they escape relegation (assuming Newcastle doesn’t beat Manchester City.)
Wednesday, Jan. 30
- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Watford (Premier League) — Watford continue to put up good games, as they chase the leaders. Spurs though have their challenges ahead of them with Kane injured and Son playing for his national team.
Thursday, Jan. 31
- Union Berlin vs. Koln (Bundesliga 2) — Koln were Bundesliga mainstays until they got relegated. Koln are #2 in the second league, fighting to make their way back into the league.
Saturday, Feb. 2
- USA vs. Costa Rica (World Friendly) - Our second look at the US Men’s squad under the new coach as they face Costa Rica. We’ll be curious to see how they look.
- Bayer Leverkusen vs. Bayern München (Bundesliga) — Casual fans, or those unfamiliar with the German league might assume these two teams were in the same city given the presence of ‘Bayer’ and ‘Bayern’ — but no, Leverkusen and Munich (Munchen) are nearly 300 miles apart. Bayer is named for the pharmaceutical company Bayer, while Bayern comes from the name of the region Munich is in.
- Eintracht Frankfurt vs. Borussia Dortmund (Bundesliga) — Fifteen points separate them, Eintracht sits at 30 points while Dortmund leads the league with 45. Dortmund has won four of their last five where Eintracht Frankfurt have only taken 7 points out of their last five matches. A win for Dortmund gives them a commanding nine point lead over the chasing Bayern München (pending the outcome of their match vs. Leverkusen.)
- Monaco vs. Toulouse (Ligue 1) — The great Thierry Henry had tried to turn Monaco around, taking on a monumental challenge as his first coaching job. And, well, it hasn’t gone well. He has been removed as the team tries to save their season again. Toulouse is not a powerhouse, so perhaps Monaco can turn it around here.
Sunday, Feb. 3
- Manchester City vs Arsenal (Premier League) — Do I need to explain why to watch this? Well, as a Tottenham supporter I can tell you it’s so I can see Man. City beat them.
- Real Madrid vs Deportivo Alavés (La Liga) — Real Madrid sit in third, and Alaves is four points and two spots behind them. Madrid are in good form as they rejoin the hunt for the top of the league.
- Roma vs. Milan (Serie A) — Two legendary teams of Italy, Roma needing to earn that fourth rank to try and play in Champions League rather than Europa league.
- Olympique Lyonnais vs PSG (Ligue 1) — PSG all but has this league clenched barring a catastrophic run of games, but Lyon are also in great form as they have not lost a game since the beginning of December.