Champion’s League, as you would expect, leads the exciting matches for this week. However there’s several other quality matches from Japan to Denmark to the top leagues in Europe and here in the states. Let’s look at the schedule!
Tuesday, Apr. 16
- Juventus vs. Ajax (Champion’s League) — They ended 1 – 1 last week, giving Juventus the edge. Now they return to Turin to finish out the match. Who will advance? 538 favors Juventus and I tend to agree.
- Barcelona vs. Manchester United (Champion’s League) — Barca snatched a 1 – 0 victory on the road in England, can they defend at home? Yes.
Wednesday, Apr. 17
- Manchester City vs. Tottenham (Champions League) - Sadly this is where I think Tottenham’s Champions League run ends, but I will still be watching, hoping for a miracle.
- Orlando Pride vs. North Carolina Courage (NWSL) — Women’s soccer is back in the US after it’s long off season. The kicked off this weekend and their first midweek game of the season brings two of the league’s top teams face to face.
Thursday, Apr. 18
- Napoli vs. Arsenal (Europa Cup) - Napoli must come back from a two goal deficit as they return home to Italy, if they want to advance.
- København vs Midtjylland (Denmark Super League) - I know nothing about either of these teams except that they sit atop Denmark’s league and the game is broadcasting on ESPN+. Games like this are one of the great things about being a soccer fan, you get to see players and teams from around the world play the game.
Friday, Apr. 19
- LA Galaxy vs. Houston Dynamo (MLS) — #3 and #4 in the west meet. Historically these two teams have had a fairly balanced history, though the Galaxy have dominated when Houston came to town. Can they continue that trend this time?
- Sanfrecce Hiroshima vs. Tokyo (J1 League) — Japan’s J1 league is underway and so far it is both of these teams sitting atop it. J1 is broadcast in the US on DAZN, which isn’t a network I normally watch so I am not positive how watchable this game will be to us Americans.
Saturday, Apr. 20
- Manchester City vs. Tottenham (EPL) - Manchester race to hold onto the lead in the league, and Tottenham fight to claim the third spot in the league after their recent slide. Will Kane be healthy? Can Tottenham manage an upset against the Citizens?
- Inter vs. Roma (Serie A) - #3 vs #5 in Italy, but only 3 points separate them. A win by Roma would tie them with Inter.
- Borussia M’gladbach vs. Red Bull Leipzig (Bundesliga) — A top battle in Germany. M’gladbach (#5) hosts the Red Bulls.
- Feyenoord vs. AZ (Eredivisie) — The Netherlands sees two of their top 5 squads face off, it might just be my imagination but it seems like the Eredivisie has had a series of weeks with high level face offs. Good stuff.
Sunday, Apr. 21
- Los Angeles FC vs. Seattle Sounders FC (MLS) — The two best teams in MLS clash for the first time this season. It’s going to be a high stress, high intensity match I expect.
- Reign FC vs. Orlando Pride (NWSL) — The NWSL season is still getting underway, but it’s fair to expect both of these teams be dominant performers in the coming season.