I somehow missed last week, so let’s get back into the top matches to watch for this week!
My Top 3
The tail end of this International break leading back into a lot of fantastic league action. Tough to pick just three matches, but here are mine:
- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Manchester City (B/R Live — Tuesday, 12:00pm Pacific)
- Milan vs. Lazio (ESPN+ — Saturday, 11:30am Pacific)
- Lille vs. Paris Saint‐Germaine (BeIN — Sunday, 12:00pm Pacific)
Tuesday, Apr. 9
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City (Champion’s League) — The Champions League has reached pinnacle excitement in the quarterfinals. Tottenham are the definite underdog between Man. City, which look to be the best team in the world right now.
- Bristol City vs West Bromwich Albion (Championship) — The 2nd division in England have a race for promotion. Norwich City have 1st place by a safe distance, but the 2nd spot is up for a fight. WBA winning this would put them in striking distance of Leeds United. A win for Bristol City would make them more secure in the top 6, a loss leaves them on the cusp of falling in to the pack.
Wednesday, Apr. 10
- Manchester United vs. Barcelona & Ajax vs. Juventus (UEFA Champions League) - Two fantastic matches between teams which need no explanation.
- Orange County SC vs. Tacoma Defiance (USL Championship) — Tacoma got their second win off of a roster that featured largely MLS players, as the Sounders got players warmed up before heading into a stretch where their depth will be tested. How will they do on the road against the struggling Orange County?
Thursday, Apr. 11
- Sporting KC vs. Monterrey (Concacaf Champions League) -There are stories of heroes. Epic tales of the protagonists overcoming unthinkable odds. And that is what Kansas City have to do. They left Mexico 3 – 0 losers. I don’t think they can do it, but every great epic stacks the chips against the hero.
Friday, Apr. 12
- Chicago Fire vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS) — Chicago and Vancouver are two teams struggling to reliably get points. Vancouver just held Seattle’s offense at bay while Chicago just managed a win at home against the New York Red Bulls.
- Hoffenheim vs. Bayer Leverkusen (Bundesliga) — Leverkusen are clinging to their sixth position quite precariously and a loss here could be what causes them to fall out of Europa competition for next year. Conversely, if Hoffenheim can claim a win, they are now in striking distance to climb into the top six. An important match for both teams.
Saturday, Apr. 13
- Seattle Sounders FC vs Toronto FC (MLS) - Two of the top teams in the league face off in what has grown to be a rivalry in the league.
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Huddersfield Town (EPL) - Tottenham have been on a slide, but opening their new stadium seems to have relit their fires and now they welcome Huddersfield into their arena. How many can Tottenham score?
- Milan vs. Lazio (Serie A) — Two of the top in Italy face off. Lazio has Torino and Roma tied on points, all competing over the 6th spot in the league.
Sunday, Mar. 24
- Liverpool vs. Chelsea (EPL) — Liverpool is chasing Manchester City, can they get a win to put themselves back on top of Manchester City?
- Sporting KC vs. New York Red Bulls (MLS) — KC are coming off a, well let’s face it, likely loss and exit from the CCL. How hungry will they be for redemption? Red Bulls need to get their heads straight and run for the top of the east, to do so they need to win this game.
- Lille vs. Paris Saint‐Germaine (Ligue 1) — There is a twenty point gap between these two teams, and yet they are first and second in the league. Ligue 1 needs a serious push for balance between teams to make the race more interesting. However, this should be a good game.