MLS’s features for this week aren’t complete, but I don’t think any of those outcomes are going to change my top matches to see for the coming week. Here we go!
My Top 3
So you’ve only got time for a few soccer games, these are the three I most recommend you watch if you’re able:
- Milan vs. Inter (Sunday, 12:30pm Pacific — ESPN+) — The Milan derby is this weekend, broadcast online over ESPN+ for those of us in the States.
- Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid (Tuesday, 1pm Pacific — Univision/FuboTV) — Can Juventus mount the comeback? Or will Atletico advance further than their cross-city rival?
- Chicago Fire vs. Seattle Sounders (Saturday, 10am Pacific — ESPN+) — Perhaps my homerism is peeking through, but it feels like the Sounders might be about to do something special in this league. This game will be a true test of how they perform away from home with their fully healthy squad.
See my full listing of games to see, after the break.
Tuesday, Mar. 12
- Santos Laguna v. New York Redbulls (Concacaf Champions) — It’s the quarterfinals of the Concacaf Champions League, and every MLS club is on the ropes. New York heads to Santos Laguna and have to come up big. Can they?
- Juventus v. Atletico Madrid (Champions League) — In the Round of 16 for the tournament, Atletico Madrid need to hold of Juventus and maintain their 2 – 0 lead coming into this second leg.
Wednesday, Mar. 13
- Bayern Munich vs. Liverpool (Champions League) — Bayern host Liverpool for the second leg. Liverpool have begun to sputter in their EPL matches giving Manchester City the lead, are they about to sputter out of the Champions league as well?
Friday, Mar. 15
- Charlotte Independence vs. Indy Eleven (USL) - American second division soccer is underway. It’s the season opener for these two teams. Andrew Gutman, on loan from Celtic to Charlotte, makes his first appearance in the USL.
Saturday, Mar. 16
- Chicago Fire vs. Seattle Sounders (MLS) - Sounders are off to a blistering start to their season, with a 2 – 0‑0 record and leading the league on goal differential. Chicago are 0 – 1‑1 as they try to find their form. Can they stop the Sounders’ offensive weapons from scoring goals?
- LA Galaxy vs. Minnesota United (MLS) — The surprising start for Minnesota United is one of the top stories for the beginning of this season. And both wins came on the road, can Minnesota make it a hat trick in LA? Or will Zlatan do what he does?
- Tijuana vs. Monterrey (Liga MX) — Two top teams in Mexico face off with English commentary on Fox Sports 2.
- Leeds United vs. Sheffield United (English Championship) — #2 vs. #3 in the 2nd division for England. Both teams have won 4 of their last 5 matches. Should be a good one.
Sunday, Mar. 17
- Everton vs. Chelsea (Premier League) — Everton is in the middle of the league and Chelsea is trying to hold onto a spot for the Europas. Can they solidify their hold with a win on the road?
- NYCFC vs. LAFC (MLS) — Two of the newer clubs in the league, representing the two biggest markets in the country, face off.
- Valencia vs. Getafe (La Liga) — Two top six squads in Spain. With a win, Valencia could tie Real Madrid in the standings. With a win, Getafe could climb to #5. Both teams should be fighting it out with glorious Spanish football.
- AZ vs. Ajaz (Eredivisie) — Ajax are still fighting through the Champions league, and trying to claim the top spot in the Netherlands. Can they do both? AZ might have something to say.
- Milan vs. Internazionale (Serie A) — Milan derby is always a good time, with both teams in fine form this should be an excellent one. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend this episode of Copa90’s Derby Days.