The International break winds down with a few more early week matches before players return to their clubs and the leagues resume action next weekend. MLS had a fun weekend with the few games which played.
My Top 3
The tail end of this International break leading back into a lot of fantastic league action. Tough to pick just three matches, but here are mine:
- France vs. Iceland (ESPN+ — Monday, 12:45pm Pacific)
- Ajax vs. PSV (ESPN+ — Sunday, 7:45am Pacific)
- Liverpool vs. Tottenham (NBC Sports — Sunday, 8:30am Pacific)
Monday, Mar. 25
- France vs. Iceland (UEFA Euro Qualifiers) — World Cup champions against the Cinderella story of the last Euros.
Tuesday, Mar. 26
- United States vs. Chile (Friendly) — Sixto Vizuente, the Ecuadorian national coach, said this was the best US Men’s team he had faced. And though they won only 1 – 0 thanks to a flukey lofting goal from Zardes, there is no doubt that Berhalter’s era is underway and the US Men’s team looks dynamic as they settle into the new form.
Wednesday, Mar. 27
- Paris Saint‐Germain vs. Chelsea (UEFA Women’s Champions League) — A rare treat for us Americans. The opportunity to see two top female clubs battle in the European championship. Chelsea lead 2 – 0 coming into the second leg of this quarterfinal. Can PSG pull back to win?
Friday, Mar. 29
- Toronto FC vs. New York Red Bulls (MLS) — New York just suffered an embarrassing loss at home, can they bounce back against Toronto? Or will Toronto prove to us all that the loss of Gio is something they are unaffected by?
- Hoffenheim vs. Bayer Leverkusen (Bundesliga) — Leverkusen are clinging to their sixth position quite precariously and a loss here could be what causes them to fall out of Europa competition for next year. Conversely, if Hoffenheim can claim a win, they are now in striking distance to climb into the top six. An important match for both teams.
Saturday, Mar. 30
- Vancouver Whitecaps vs Seattle Sounders FC (MLS) - Vancouver is a team in crisis. Seattle is a team riding high. Can Vancouver take advantage of being at home to stop the offensive powerhouse of Seattle?
- Borussia Dortmund vs. Wolfsburg (Bundesliga) - Dortmund is tied with Bayern on points, but they sit in second of the league due to goal difference. Can Dortmund get a win here and hopefully regain the advantage on Bayern?
Sunday, Mar. 24
- Ajax vs. PSV (Eredivisie) — It is the top two teams in the Netherlands facing off. Ajax are still alive in the Champions League and they look incredibly good.
- Liverpool vs. Tottenham (EPL) — Liverpool are being pursued by a hungry Manchester City, they can’t afford any more missteps if they want to hold on to the lead. Tottenham are in their own race against their rivals, Arsenal. Both teams need to win this game, who will?
- Roma vs. Napoli & Inter vs. Lazio (Serie A) — We’ve got two games between teams in the top six of Italy’s top league. Should be lots of fun.
- North Carolina FC vs. Charleston Battery (USL) — Two of the top teams in USL face off for their next match of the season.